Self-Driving Information for Leh and Ladakh April 24, 2019 – Posted in: Blogs
The best part of going on a journey is being able to experience new things and places. So, it is no surprise that you would prefer to be the captain of your own road trip instead of being in the back seat of a taxi or a rented car. Opting for a self-driven vehicle is much more tempting especially in Ladakh, where there is much more to see than just a few tourist spots. The enchanting terrain and the mountains might be calling your name, but it is important to know the dos and don’ts of self-driving in Leh and Ladakh
Restrictions and Important information
• Self-driven taxis or rented cars are not permitted in Nubra, Pangong, Tso Moriri. Due to the protest by the local taxi union in Leh and Ladakh, only taxis registered within Leh can be used for sight seeing in the area. Once you reach Leh, you must leave your rented or own self-drive vehicle at the hotel and rent a taxi or a motorcycle in Ladakh/Leh for local sightseeing.
• To visit Zanskar, only a registered taxi/motorcycle from Kargil is permitted.
• Do not take vehicles not registered in your name to Leh, Ladakh. It is always best to take vehicles registered in your name along with identification documents.
• For Local sightseeing in Ladakh, you must rent a motorcycle in Leh. If you have your own motorcycle, you can use it.
• Do not try to work around these rules as doing so has led to violent incidents such as tire slashing, breaking windows, puncturing the vehicle with metal rods and much more.
If you are planning to drive a vehicle, please carry the following documents along-
1. Registration Card
2. Insurance Documents
3. All India Permit
4. Car licence
General Self-Driving Tips
a. Get your vehicle serviced before the trip.
b. Do not drink and drive – alcohol will not help either concentration or acclimatization.
c. Avoid being overconfident.
d. Know your vehicle and maintenance well – you never know when you might need it.
e. Avoid use of heaters as it can aggravate AMS symptoms.
f. Carry a basic toolkit, spare tyre and other important items.
Have any questions or anecdotes about self-driving in Leh Ladakh? Don’t be shy -share them with us! You can write to us on firstname.lastname@example.org”