Getting the right permits for Leh and Ladakh April 24, 2019 – Posted in: Blogs
Leh and Ladakh offer a dreamscape full of adventure and wonder, but your lack of proper permits to visit certain areas might bring you down to Earth in a sharp, unpleasant manner. When planning a visit to Leh and Ladakh, it is very important to have the proper permits and to save yourself disappointment, time and hassle.
What permits do I need?
To travel in certain protected areas, you will need an Inner Line Permit, an official travel document which is issued by the Government of India. This document will allow you (an Indian citizen) into a restricted area for a limited amount of time, which is three weeks. This is in interest of the security of the nation. Along with that, you would also be required to pay environmental fees.
For Non Indians, the process differs and they would need a PAP.
Which places do I need permits for?
While not all the places in Leh would require you to have a permit, please note that permits are necessary for the following areas:
• Nubra Valley
• Khardung La
• Pangong Tso
• Tso Moriri
• Hanu Villages
• Digger La
• Tangyar (trekking only)
Inner Line Permits are not necessary if you wish to visit Zanskar and Suru Valley. You would also not require a permit to visit the local places near Leh town or for local sightseeing in Leh. Places on the Manali-Leh Highway and the Srinagar-Leh
Note: To get the necessary permits for a particular place you will need to mention every place on the route-
For example, if you want to go to Tso Moriri from Pangong via the Chusul-Nyoma route or go to Hanle and Changthang, you must mention Man- Merak- Chusul-Tsaga-Loma-Nyoma and Hanle.
This will make sure you are not sent back from any post.
Self-attested photocopies of documents that are valid proof of nationality and ID proof
Permit Application form
A written application letter to the DC of Leh that expresses your interest to travel to the places along with the dates.
Process for obtaining permits
Visit the official Leh and Ladakh website:
1. Click on the ‘Apply for Permit’ at the bottom center.
3. Fill in the required details.
4. After you have filled in all the details, select “directly “ in the field “Issue permit”
5. Review the entire information and once you are sure it is free of error, click on submit.
6. You will be notified that your registration has been successful via a pop up on the screen. Click ok to go to the next page, which requires you to select the areas you are visiting
7. Select your date of arrival and departure in Leh.
8. Click on apply for Permit.
9. A new pop up will inform you that your request has been sumitted. Click ok.
10. You will be taken to a page containing all the details of your permit, the fee structure and the rest of the important information which you can choose to print out.
11. In order to make the payment and get the permits signed or stamped, you must take a copy of the form and visit the TIC office.
Address: TIC Office,
Opposite J&K Bank
Main Market, Leh
Timings: Between 9 am to 7 pm on all Working days.
In order to avoid the long queues it is best to go early in the morning.
We hope that this information was useful to you and wish you an adventurous, hassle free trip!